National Express Transport Solutions have put together its top tips for group travel. Whether you are organising a day at the races for your group or planning coach travel for a large wedding, these travel tips will help you on your way to booking a stress-free journey.
Plan in advance
More than ever it is important to book your coach hire as early as possible. Summer is the busiest time of year and in addition, there is a nationwide shortage of coach drivers within the industry. Booking in advance with coach companies is the best way to ensure availability for your travel requirements - plus more time to prepare!
It's all in the details!
Make sure you have as many details as possible to hand in before booking a coach. This will ensure you get a quick quote with the best price and allows the booking process to be as simple as possible.
Points to consider:
- Decide on your group’s destination and whether you are staying in the UK or travelling to Europe. When travelling to Europe we can book the Eurotunnel or Ferry and when booking in advance this means more availability.
- Make sure you have the exact postcodes of your pick-up and drop-off locations as this will make the travel planning process far easier for you. It allows your Travel Consultant to ensure accurate mileage and driver hours are correct. Incorrect information can slow down the process and could alter your final quote.
- How many adults and children are travelling? Passenger numbers will impact the type of vehicle that you require. Generally, 8-16 passengers will need minibus hire but groups of 16 or over will require a coach. If any children require a car seat, this is something you would need to provide. Please enquire at the point of quotation.
- Is it going to be a long journey? You may want a more luxurious coach with more legroom. Look in advance at the coaches and minibuses we offer. You can even treat yourself to a luxury VIP vehicle with additional features such as rear lounges and kitchens. We have access to thousands of vehicles across the UK which means we offer coach hire for any occasion, big or small.
- Do you have a lot of luggage? Make sure there is enough room on your coach or minibus for your luggage and they can fit in the hold under the coach. There is no weight limit on luggage, however, we recommend one item per passenger.
- Are there any passengers travelling with disabilities who require special assistance? We have a number of accessible vehicles that accommodate wheelchairs or individuals with certain requirements. Please make our Travel Consultants aware at the quotation stage.
- You will also need to let your Travel Consultant know whether you need the vehicle and driver to stay. If it’s a one-day event or a hire with an itinerary involved, normally it’s more cost-effective for the driver to stay but if your group requires to be dropped off and then picked up at a later date then, the driver will return to the depot and do two single journeys.
- Make sure you are realistic with your timings. Leave plenty of time on either side of your journey as there may be late arrivals from your group and unforeseeable traffic and remember coaches are slower than cars! If you are travelling in the rush hour, take this into consideration also. Our expert team can advise with timings as no one likes to be late!
When you are ready to book a coach, ask for a quote online or call 03301 358 469 and a travel consultant will be in touch! It is that simple!
Remember we only take bookings for groups of 8 or more for private hire. If you require a coach or minibus for less, contact National Express who will be able to help you with your enquiry.